Well, I’ve gone and done it. I’ve resurrected my Patreon page from the dead!
What is Patreon?
Patreon is a way to join your favorite creator’s community and pay them for making the stuff you love. Instead of literally throwing money at your screen (trust us, that doesn’t work), you can now pay a few bucks per month. … This means the creator gets paid regularly, and you become a bonafide, real-life patron of the arts. That’s right–Imagine you, in a long frilly white wig, painted on a 10-foot canvas on the wall of a Victorian mansion. And imagine your favorite creators making a living doing what they do best… because of you.
Why have I done this?
- Accountability. I find that I am much more productive in my writing when I have deadlines. There’s nothing like having to have a short story ready to share every month of the year to spur creativity.
- The itch to share. The writing process is not complete until a story has been consumed by a reader. This is a way to get my writing in front of people and possibly earn a bit of coffee money.
So if you want to read a story about a possessed cat who provides a target for a grieving father’s vengeance, about cultists who harvest mushrooms from zombies in the woods, or about terrifying discoveries in the wildernesses of the Pacific Northwest then be sure to become a patron.
I’m starting out with three tiers.
- $1 per month – The first is only $1 a month, and it is a way for folks to give me a monetary thumbs up. By pledging $1 a month you are telling me, “Hey, I like what you are doing. Keep it up!” In return you’ll get a warm fuzzy feeling from supporting creative effort.
- $3 per month – At $3 a month you will have an original short story or a chapter from my current novel-in-progress emailed to you at the beginning of every month. You will also get extra bonus content such as: deleted scenes, character studies, and story vignettes. And, for those of you who want some inspiration for you own writing, every Wednesday I will provide an original writing prompt.
- $10 per month – The top tier is $10, and if you pledge to this one you will get your name and, if you would like, a website link in the credits of my monthly submission as a thank you for being amazing and truly believing in my creative endeavors.
I have a couple goals for my Patreon page to strive for. At 10 patrons I plan to get on camera and record a video introduction talking about myself and what I do. This is a big deal, because I turn colors when I talk in front of people. It should be entertaining.
I have a bigger plan for when I reach 25 patrons. When I hit that magic number I will create a new tier for those interested in hearing me read my monthly submission. This means getting a little equipment and learning a bit about audio recording.
So, if you’d like to see me talk about myself and hear me read my own fiction, be sure to become a patron today and share my Patreon page with your friends who would love a good story sent to them every month.